CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Soctoberfest, part 1

From Lolly, the Socktoberfest questionnaire:

  • When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I started making socks a couple of years ago, and made pairs for two friends of mine from college. I taught myself, using the pattern in Weekend Knitting, and just sort of winged it (this is my approach to all knitting really).
  • What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? I'm not sure if they've held up.
  • What would you have done differently? I would have learned more about making heels and fitting to feet. I have vague recollections of them not fitting one of the intended recipients.
  • What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I have to say I love Koigu, though I haven't made any socks from it yet. I've only actually made one pair of socks from sock yarn (and those have already been gifted by my ex - apparently there's a sock curse as well as a sweater curse!). I really like the chunky socks I made from some multicolored yarn I got on sale.
  • Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I prefer DPNs, but I've been trying to get back into using 2 circulars. I made one pair that way and was really pleased with the results. I haven't tried the Magic Loop method yet, though I bought an extra long circular needle with my last KnitPicks order to try it out.
  • Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) I like the look of a flap heel, but I prefer to knit toe-up (as I have a problem sometimes with running out of yarn). The last 2 socks I've started are destined for experiments in toe-up flaps.
  • How many pairs have you made? 6 - and I have 3 more on the needles! Pictures to follow soon.

0 comments: