Tuesday, September 04, 2007

FO, WIPs, and moving on

The manly socks are finally done and have been gifted to their owner. A few months late of his birthday, but he seems pleased with them. And decided not to take them on his latest camping trip, because he didn't want to "get them dirty." I wonder how much use they'll see with that philosophy!

I'm dividing my time now between some gloves and socks. With a little work on the Hourglass Sweater to give my hands/wrists a break. I've been noticing some tingling in my arms and some back pain, so I'm trying to take it easy. Of course, this rules out making stitch markers as well, so I really don't know what to do with myself! The testing is going well, as far as getting feedback on how the first set of markers work out. After some initial results, I'm thinking the method Teresa taught me may be more knitter-friendly and that the method I use is probably better suited to earrings and the like.

This past weekend was full of football and movies (and eating!) I watched way more college football than I intended, but really enjoyed the Cal game (I may have to organize a viewing at some sports bar for the next one!) M and I went to see the Bourne Ultimatum on Sunday, which I liked quite a bit. I wasn't as much of a fan of the second in the series, but the third was right up there with the first. If you like action and twists, I'd recommend checking it out while it's still in theater (unless you have a big screen TV and surround sound. In which case, invite me over some time)

My parents seem to be doing well after the letter was published. The Napa paper has a censoring policy on all comments submitted to their site (which the other papers don't seem to be as strict with, given some of the responses to my dad's letter earlier this year) and all the comments I've seen are positive and reaffirm the fact that not much is known about the possible side effects. I'm still trying to deal - feeling somewhat deserted, though I realize no one really knows what to say to me. I'm told this is the awkward point in the timeline - where it's been long enough that other people have moved on and you're just starting to deal with it. Or where people are still giving you distance when you're finally ready to talk. It's been frustrating to an extent - the times I do mention it, no one knows what to say and the atmosphere gets awkward. Society has a hard time acknowledging death and its aftermath in general, at least in a way that doesn't leave the survivors feeling like they should be keeping quiet about how they're feeling.

So I've removed the chip from my shoulder and have been harassing people to hang out with me until they feel comfortable enough to do it on their own :)

And in the interim, I'm getting caught up on my Netflix subscription....I'm still coming up to movies I queued back in grad school!


Anonymous said...

Hey, glad to hear you're okay. I agree with you completely about society having a hard time dealing with death and survivors. My mom passed away 4 years ago and it's still hard. I find that people around me didn't (don't) know what to say a lot of the time, so they don't say anything. Which can be a bummer, esp. when you feel like talking about stuff. It's good that you are reaching out to people. I'm sure your friends are happy that you are. They would probably like to reach out to you more, too, but don't know how to approach it.

On a lighter note, our weekends seemed to mirror each others in the football-and-Bourne Ulitmatum- watching fronts. We went to see Bourne on Sunday, too. I enjoyed it- not to mention the A/Ced theater! Yay- another football watching girl! I'm a Pac-10 girl too (UCLA), and I'm looking forward to more football starting this weekend. Seems odd to have football when it's 100+ degrees, but whatever. ;)

Anyway, continue to hang in there and let me know if you ever want to talk...or watch football. :) (WHOA- sorry about the super long comment!)